Our lodge was founded on the idea of helping those in need. Ever since our organization was established, we have endeavored to provide help where the need is greatest.
Our team is made up entirely of volunteers. We advocate for those who need our help. Even a little help goes a long way.
That is why we are especially happy to find new volunteers who share our commitment to doing good in the world. Do you want to support us by helping with our work? Then do not hesitate to contact us. A helping hand is always greatly appreciated!
HISTORY OF ELMHURST LODGE 941
compiled by RW Brother Mark Entwistle 11-2-2021
In 1830 a community was settled and was called Cottage Hill. Cottage Hill began to grow and in 1869 the community leaders changed the name to Elmhurst, and in 1910 Elmhurst was incorporated as a city with a population of 2,360 people.
Several of these residents were Freemasons that lived in Elmhurst but belonged to lodges in surrounding areas like Maywood, Wheaton, Hinsdale, LaGrange, Chicago and other communities. On March 16, 1911, about 30 of these Elmhurst resident Freemasons held a meeting on the 3rd Floor of Glos Hall located at the corner of York Street and Park Avenue, which today still stands as the home of the Fifth Third Bank. The sole purpose of this meeting was to discuss the possibility of starting a new Masonic Lodge in the City of Elmhurst. It was agreed that Elmhurst would be a viable location for a Masonic Lodge and The Elmhurst Masonic Business Association was formed to carry out all of the requirements of the Grand Lodge of Illinois to open a new lodge. The association rented space and held all of its subsequent meetings on the 2nd floor of the Mahler Building, at the corner of Park Avenue and Adell Street, just South of the Elmhurst Metra train station. This building still stands today and is home to Two Brothers From Italy Restaurant and Brewpoint Coffee Shop.
After completing all of the requirements of the Grand Lodge of Illinois, Elmhurst Lodge No 941, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, was duly chartered on October 27, 1911, just over 110 years ago as of this writing.
Elmhurst Lodge continued to hold their meetings at Mahler’s Hall. In 1912 it was decided that the lodge should have its own home and toward that end Elmhurst Lodge purchase a 50 X 134 foot lot at the corner of York and Virginia Streets for $2,000 with the intention of erecting a building on that site. This never came to being and the lodge sold this lot in 1921 and it remains today the Gibbons Funeral Home.
Even while thinking of building a new lodge hall Elmhurst Lodge kept the search going for an existing structure and in April, 1918, Elmhurst Lodge purchased the former First United Methodist Church building at the corner of York and Arthur Streets from The Elmhurst State Bank. The total cost for the building, furnishings and a very extensive remodel was $28,000, $8,000 of which was cash on hand and the balance was attained through the issuance of 10 year, 5% yield bonds.
The new Elmhurst Lodge Building was dedicated on Saturday, April 16, 1921. This building remained home to the lodge until November 2008, when the building was sold to its current owners, Food Mix, Inc.
For the next 3 plus years Elmhurst Lodge rented space to hold our meetings. In fact, the first place we rented was at the First United Methodist Church, the very church that once owned the building we occupied on Arthur Street for so many years.
All the time we rented we kept our search alive to purchase another building in Elmhurst to call home and on March 20, 2012, we achieved that by closing on our current home at 159 W. North Ave, the former St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. After some major renovations we held our first meeting in this building on May 15, 2012. Today this building is home to seven Masonic Lodges and two churches. Dedicated Masons in Elmhurst living every day to make the world a better place.
And of course Elmhurst Lodge is not without its fair share of accomplished Masons. Again, just name a few; Members of some of Elmhurst’s founding families like the Bates, Hammerschmidts and Wilders; Henry C. Schumacher, First Mayor of the City of Elmhurst, 1910-1911; Frederick W. M. Hammerschmidt, Second Mayor of Elmhurst, 1911-1919; Julius J. Braun, the First City Clerk of Elmhurst; several Former Alderman of Elmhurst like, William B. Pearn, Henry F. Hobein, Charles Mueller, John Hazzelton and Mark Entwistle; Thomas Marcucci, Elmhurst Mayor, 1993-2008; James “Pate” Phillip, President of the Il Senate, Retired; Lee A. Daniels, Speaker of the House, State of IL, Retired; John J. Millner, IL Senator and Retired Chief of Police, City of Elmhurst; Harry Ramey, IL House of Representatives; Christopher Kachiroubas, DuPage County Clerk of the Circuit Court; Dewey Pierrotti, President of the DuPage County Forest Preserve District; Don Puchalski, DuPage County Board Member, Dist 1, and John Valle, York Township, Supervisor.
There are estimated to be about 33,700 Masonic lodges in 164 countries and about 5 million Freemasons worldwide. Any man wishing to proudly call himself a Freemason as we all do, only needs to ask.